Saturday, February 24, 2007

Awkward moments...

Awkward moments are so frequent. I find them hysterical, usually hours later. Anyways yesterday I went to St. Mary's for a TB and drug test so I could be cleared to volunteer there. So I go into the employment testing place (yes, I realize I am not an employee) and right away the awkward sets in. I filled out a little form and a doctor guy came up to me and handed me a cup with a thick black line really near the bottom. That's nice. Here's our convo.

Doc- Okay, here you go, just make sure to fill up to the black line.
Me- Wait... what?
Doc- To the black line.
**silence**
At this moment I was thinking that there was no way I could do that. The black line was like a centimeter from the bottom of the cup.
Doc- You know, over the black line.
Me- Ooooh, I thought you meant under the... but it's so... I was... Okay.

Oh wow. Fun times.
And at the moment I do not have a computer. We are redoing the kitchen (and the living room) and so my dad had to knock down the half wall we have separating the living room from the den. So the computer obviously had to be moved and there is no place to set it up at the moment. AND we were just given our first government project and I'm doing a PowerPoint. The joys of government and construction.
There has been a lot of talk about lent. Should you give up something, what should you give up, giving up stuff is weird... etc. I usually give up something every year, and this year it was picking my face. It is a big problem for me. But anyways I gave it up because everytime I do that it hurts my integumentary system. (woot for anatomy!) And after all, God created me in his image and by doing that to my face I am harming my temple. And now everytime I reach for my face I tell myself to stop. So I stop and think about what God has blessed me with. Great family and friends, food, shelter... just everything! I think lent is about putting everything into perspective. You could give up tv and use the free time to seriously study your bible but it wouldn't mean anything if you went back to your old ways as soon as lent was over and stopped reading your bible. Lent can be a way to finally get into that habit of reading your bible since you don't have the tv or your myspace to distract you. Giving up something for lent can be completely useless or a good way to grow closer to God, and that decision is up to the individual. Just so you know, I'm not against people who don't "give up" anything.
And now it is time for me to go. It's time for my fourth chocolate chocolate-chip cookie. :)
And tomorrow I have a volleyball tournament! We are ranked #1 in the 18's division tomorrow! Yay! And tomorrow we play on court A1. Sweeeet!

--"Dude! You got a tattoo!
-"So do you, dude! Dude, what does my tattoo say?
--"Sweet!" What about mine?
-"Dude!" What does mine say?
--"Sweet!" What about mine?
-"Dude!" What does mine say?
;)

4 comments:

Cory said...

nice Jillian. I'm glad that you are taking lent seriously b/c I know people who just don't really care at all about it. I completely agree with you 100%. what's the point of lent if you just stop studying your bible or what not. The changes you put yourself through mean nothing if you just go back to the way you were before. I myself gave up T.V. which is going to be hard on me since 24 and heroes are still going. but I consider it the least I could do you know =). But it will be hard, and it's important to have friends to help you keep your commitments alive.I'm behind you 100%, you can do it =)

Anonymous said...

It's stupid when people use Lent as an excuse to go on some sort of diet.

Andrew Robinson said...

My not telling you about the blood thing isn't mean, it's for your own safety. Those Blood Drive people might attack you if you knew too much. I can't have that on my conscience.

And while we're talking mean, let's talk about how you didn't volunteer to present your sunburned turkey in Anatomy. Now that's mean.

J said...

Yeah, honestly Lent isn't my thing. I have a friend who does not celebrate Mardi Gras but wanted to celebrate Lent to lose weight. She did the fat tuesday thing and for a week she deprived herself of sweets. Yeah--the cold turkey thing doesn't work out.

I love ur post!