Friday, April 25, 2008

Anyone Else But You

So, this week I had a very interesting lab for human anatomy. Some of you may have received a text/pic from me on Tuesday morning with an AWESOME picture in it. :) We all had our little beaker that we had to pee in (yes, I did feel like a criminal) and then we had to perform a bunch of tests on our urine. We checked the composition, etc. It was actually not a bad lab but it did get a little smelly by the end.
Anyways, that lab and some inquisitive questions from a friend led me read up about why pee is yellow. I described my pee as golden in my lab, but whatever. And here is the reason!
When the RBCs in your body die, the hemoglobin is broken down into two parts: heme and globin. The globin is broken down into amino acids and goes back into your bloodstream but the heme part is toxic to your body so it is taken to your liver and broken down yet again to form iron (stored as ferretin) and bilirubin. Most of the bilirubin stays in your liver or gall bladder but some enters your bloodstream and is delivered to the kidneys where it is converted to urobilins. Urobilins contain urochrome. Urochrome, as defined by medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com, is "a compound of urobilin and a peptide that is the principal pigment of urine."

Pretty cool, eh?
I wish anatomy class was that interesting. Oh, and I might be taking microbiology of infectious diseases over the summer. That means that from 06/02 to 07/11 I will be in a classroom from 8am-1:50pm on MTWThF. What fun! Anyone want to take it with me?
And did anyone else watch the return of Grey's Anatomy? Somehow I doubt it. Most of the bloggers who are still living don't really like Grey's. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's right, Tina! The Office is better! :P

Love you, Jillian! ;)

Trento said...

I watched the return. I was very excited for it.

Buuuutt, I'm more excited for this week cuz

ADDISON COMES BACK! :)